The Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce the MWS College Art Scholarship Award Program 2013/2014 application is now available.
College Student Scholarship
The Miami Watercolor Society has been in existence since 1974. One of the goals of the all-volunteer nonprofit organization is to promote the use and appreciation of water media painting in the Miami community. For nearly three decades the MWS has sponsored an outreach program for Miami-Dade County Public Schools, grades K-12, and public school art teachers. The MWS now offers scholarships to college students with a declared major in Fine Arts or Art Education. Three cash scholarships totaling $1,800 will be awarded in March 2014 for deserving sophomores, juniors, or seniors, attending Miami Dade College, Florida International University, or University of Miami, who maintain a 3.0 average and who plan to pursue art as a career.
1. Complete the application process on-line by December 10 at https://miamiwatercolor.org/. There are no entry fees.
2. Upload digital photos of five watercolor pieces on-line (address to follow) by February 28.
3. Finalists will be notified by e-mail, March 4, to submit their original five watercolor pieces, March 10-13, to (address to be announced) between the hours of 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. in a portfolio that is well protected for handling.
4. Scholarship award winners will be announced March 17.
5. The winners will receive a one year membership to the Miami Watercolor Society.
Suggested themes include figure, portrait, self portrait, landscape, still life, abstract and your choice.
1. Prepare a two-dimensional portfolio of five original watercolor pieces of art created within the last two years of college
2. Use watercolor or water-media paints
3. Artwork must be matted (white only)
4. Finalists present their portfolios with the following information clearly labeled on the back of each piece:
Student name, address, telephone number, email, name of school, name of student’s department chair
5. Minimum size image – 12” x 12”
6. Maximum size image – the longest side, no more than 40” matted
7. All work must be original and signed
8. No photographs, digital images, oil paint or water-based oil paint allowed
Intake of finalists’ portfolios: location and hours to be announced
Presentation of Awards: to be announced